Since the release of ‘Bahubali’ last year, the only question driving the nation crazy is ‘Why Kattappa killed Bahubali?’
The character of Kattappa was played by renowned Tamil actor Sathyaraj. He was born on this day exactly 62 years ago in 1954.
Let’s check out some interesting facts about him.
1) Known as ‘Kattappa’ in ‘Bahubali’, Sathyaraj was born Rangaraj Subbaiah. He started his career in 1978 playing villainous roles and later turned protagonist. He has acted in over 200 films, which include a few Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi and Kannada films as well.
2) His mother was against his wish to pursue a career in acting. However, he pursued his passion overcoming her opposition. Satyaraj acted as villain in movies from 1978-1985. His first lead role was a negative character in the 1985 film ‘Saavi’ which was a commercial hit.
3) In the 1986 film Kadalora Kavithaigal, he played the lead romantic role that broke his image of an action hero and came up with anoutstanding performance. Strangely he played father to Rajnikanth, who was 4 years elder to him in the 1986 movie ‘Mr. Bharath’.
4) Director Manivannan was close friend since his college days and directed Sathyaraj in around 25 films from 1984 to 2013 and of them 18 had Sathyaraj as the main lead.
5) Sathyaraj played a dual role as father and son in the box-office hit Amaidhi Padai which is considered among his best performances. With regard to the film, he has stated, “I have no words for that film, as it took me to the next level as an actor.
6) He directed his first film in 1995, Villadhi Villain, which had him in three distinct roles and it was a successful project. He co-starred with his son Sibiraj for the first time in Jore. Sathyaraj then acted with his son in 3 more films Mannin Maindhan, Vetrivel Sakthivel and Kovai Brothers, in which they two were seen ad brothers..
7) Sadly, his best friend Manivannan worked together with him a last time in Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA, which was his 50th and last directorial venture before his death.
8) He ventured into Telugu cinema after long time as a supporting actor in Sankham in 2009 and later did Mirchi in 2012, both of which were successful.
9) His long cherished dream came to life in ‘Bahubali’. He was quoted in an interview saying, “I am a great fan of MGR who is popular in folklore films, like NTR in Telugu movies. My dream of doing a folklore at 24 has been realised at 60 through Rajamouli. I played Rajinikant’s father when I was 31 and Rajini was 35, so I never cared for age..it never mattered to me”. He won the IIFA Utsavam Award for Best Supporting Actor in Baahubali.
10) In 2011, he had a brief career as a television host for the game show Home Sweet Home on STAR Vijay. Apart from his film career, Sathyaraj is also known to be active for social causes such as water rights in Tamil Nadu and Sri Lankan Tamil nationalism.
We wish him a Very Happy Birthday and he may continue to entertain us with his powerful performances.
Lastly, we have to wait until April 28th 2017 to know why actually Kattappa killed Bahubali.